Swamy's Book Reviews

This blog will hold all the book reviews, including those which were earlier posted at www.blether.com That site has been closed and so I am keeping all those reviews here so that a prospective author/publisher and a publicist can decide whether I am a suitable reviewer for the book they are trying to promote. My latest reviews are also being uploaded here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

I am a Physicist, a Metallurgist and a Quality Management Professional, an Author, Editor and Reviewer. I review books mostly on Science Fiction, Management, Spirituality, Children's Fiction, Health etc. My reviews appear at Amazon, Shelfari, Bookpleasures and some Yahoo Groups.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Fun With Chinese Characters

Fun With Chinese Characters - The Straits Times Collection 1
by Selina Yoon - Publisher & Cartoonist: Tan Huay Ping

Published by Infini Press

Category: Non-fiction / Language / Humour
176 pages; ISBN: 1-932457-00-3

Rating: 8/10

Review

FUN WITH CHINESE CHARACTERS, The Straits Times Collection 1, is a fun book to learn a few basics of Chinese characters and sentences. The book is attractvely printed and the cartoons definitely add an element of fun to the activity. Each character is explained through several sketches, with the individual strokes and the sequence explained.

Since I don't know Chinese language myself, I can't vouch for the accuracy of everything presented, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the book. The book may or may not be sufficient to learn Chinese language, but it will help one to recognise some of the characters. This is the first of a three part series and may be the reader who practises the characters may develop some skill in reading and understanding Chinese Script. A companion CD with guide to pronounciation would have been more helpful for learning to speak and to comprehend the language.

Recommended to those with interest in the language, culture etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home